The Team Jackulator Forums
April 27, 2024, 05:30:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help playlist Arcade Search Media Downloads Login Register  
The Jackulator 9000 Forums
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: if the site gets shut down you know why  (Read 1498 times)
jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

"Twenty pushups a day..."

WWW Awards
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:48 pm »

the past few days I've been wrangling with Netfirms -- the company that hosts this site over whether or not they will be 'forced' to shut the site down due to a Terms of Service violation

they're saying that the resources used by this site, namely something called 'database queries' are far too high

since (other than the jackbox) the only thing that generates database queries are these forums, I can't imagine why suddenly they'd be telling me that the database queries are too high

unless people have been using the jackbox WAYY more often than usual I can't think of any reason why the database queries would be any higher than normal

I've requested that they explain themselves, and point out which applications are using 'excessive resources', but so far they're giving me the runaround

at this point I'm really sick and tired of Netfirms and their shitty hosting, and their shitty customer service

for now I've disabled the jackbox (which does generate a shitload of database queries), but I don't know if that's going to decrease the queries enough for them not to shut the site down

figured I'd let you guys know.

in any case, even if the site gets shut down, I'll just start using my youtube account again -- until I can get us hooked up with better hosting

CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

I'm dead! Help me out! I'm dyin' here!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:38:43 pm »

boy... this host has been a real pain in the ass angry

I haven't used the jackbox in a long while and that explanation just seems fishy to me but idk.

I hope you can work it out Jack  sad Should I back up all my stuff?

my jackulator tribute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbIpQTjH7M

"Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight" - Bruce Cockburn

Amygdala
Made Man
Jack Master

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:03:24 pm »

I do think that there has been a lot more interest in the Jackbox recently, but even so, that's ridiculous, I can see if 100s of people are jumping around on it every day, but hell, we're just not that popular...
Also, I just wanted to bring up the fact that, uhh, I can't download anything, everything just comes up as 'index.php', even pictures, but that might just be me.
Suspicious.  angry
Amygdala
Made Man
Jack Master

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:11:11 pm »

Ha, and if the forum stats are accurate, we're getting more new members and page views than ever before, however the new topics and posts are at an all-time low... Weird.   T_grin12
Uncle Bingo
Torrance Napier
JACKULATOR4000
megaposter

Wendy? I'm home.

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:11:10 am »

The Jackbox was always dead when I checked in on it. Nowhere near what it was reaching 3 or four years ago, that's for sure. Maybe it's the new media section?

christiankur2
baby jack

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 03:43:36 am »

Sorry to hear that, could it be hacking attempts?  lipsrsealed

Do you have a control panel where you can see the stats of the website?
cheeseman007
Master of Karate and friendship for everyone!
Hardcore Jackulator
megaposter

I'm an old dog, ya' know?

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 01:03:32 pm »

Could have something to do with the ads that play in the shoutbox? Even though the shoutbox is disabled I still have the ads playing and maybe that is what is taking up the queries?

CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

I'm dead! Help me out! I'm dyin' here!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »

maybe it has to do with the fact that there is now the media section as well as the old download section, which means that there's basically a copy of everything there. That would mean there are double the amount of information that has to be stored there?

tell everybody to move there stuff into the appropriate sections or whatever. My stuff u can just delete cause I have a backup of everything on my PC. then just get rid of the old section or at just temporarily turn it off and see if that fixes it.

my jackulator tribute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbIpQTjH7M

"Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight" - Bruce Cockburn

buster01
"Whenever we go out, the people always shout, there goes John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt."
Team Jackulator

Location: State mental institution...no that's the Wilshire country club I'm lucky they let me join

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 08:30:21 pm »

I thought you had dumped netfirms already. Jesus the bullshit is just neverending with them huh?

jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 01:55:33 pm »

they gave me two IP addresses as the main culprits for excessive bandwidth consumption... turns out it was me and Amygdala that were using too much bandwidth...  embarrassed

must be all the uploading of the old calls I did to the media section -- I had to upload all the calls like three times in order to get the order right... so that's part of it -- a big part probably.

but I also had to disable the mass upload and mass download features in the new media section -- that made it so that people could use a shitload of bandwidth really fast

kind of sucks though... I'm supposed to have 'unlimited bandwidth' on this fucking account. I don't know where they get off advertising that, and then threatening to close a site down when someone uses 4GB of bandwidth in a month

that's a lot yeah, but it's not an insane amount over the course of a month... for christ's sake...  rolleyes

marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

spray paint my mind on a fucking wall

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »

it's good to know the site won't crash  tongue shocked rolleyes sad cry embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

you ever dance naked outside red lobster? ...well, you're just letting the best of life pass you by.
jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:05:29 am »

yeah they said there are no further issues... which is nice  rolleyes grin

Amygdala
Made Man
Jack Master

Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:26:39 am »

I figured I might have something to do with it... I did a lot of jumping around here recently, not to mention I downloaded 463 calls within 2 hours (about 2.5gb), I'm sorry, pop!  embarrassed
So does this mean the Jackbox can come back? Or would that still be a problem?
jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »

I think I could probably turn it back on -- I'll monitor my inbox to see if I get any emails from Netfirms -- just to be certain

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: