The Team Jackulator Forums
April 27, 2024, 11:58:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help playlist Arcade Search Media Downloads Login Register  
The Jackulator 9000 Forums
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: over 800 exoplanets!?  (Read 3349 times)
CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

I'm dead! Help me out! I'm dyin' here!

Awards
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:35:21 pm »

shocked  cheesy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrasolar_planet

they now have discovered over 800 planets around other stars with the Kepler space program. I was shocked to hear this the other day on TV.

So what do you guys think? What are the chances of alien existing now?  shocked suddenly it doesn't seem so far out. They're even finding earth like planets.  Even the scientists are admitting that. Who wants to go to one for a little vacation?  tongue

One said they're finding about 1 each week which means they estimate there are twice as many planets as stars in our galaxy... there over a billion stars...  T_Shock1

my jackulator tribute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbIpQTjH7M

"Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight" - Bruce Cockburn

metalboss44
Prince Chicken
Jack Mod
Team Jackulator

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:20:01 am »

That is wild...How grounding is it, also that contrary to wild hollywood movie inspired belief we can't actually pinpoint a spacerock about to plunge into our atmosphere, either.  T_Shock2

jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

"Twenty pushups a day..."

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:14 am »

how exciting is that???  shocked shocked shocked

that's probably only a fraction of what's really there

I feel like I was born about 75 years too late...  sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

if in 50 years we're still dicking around with oil and fascism and gay marriage and and whether or not people have the right to see a doctor and all that then I'll most likely die before any serious space exploration begins. talk about a MAJOR fucking bummer. I was told in sixth grade that we'd have a colony on mars by 2020... I seriously doubt that's going to happen... unless Neil deGrasse Tyson runs for president.  cry

stoneeh
700 Club

Sometimes, I listen to Jack Nicholson prank calls.

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:30:08 pm »

arent there like 4 billion stars in our galaxy and a couple of billion galaxies that we know of? dont care how many potentially inhabitable planets they find, we already know there are lots of them and basically there is a lot of life our there.. probably very far away but potentially already very close
marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

spray paint my mind on a fucking wall

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:11:58 pm »

DNA or the first self replicating cells may not have evolved on earth, check this little guy out

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7W194GQ6fHI&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7W194GQ6fHI&rel=0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUC0_HjNFBs&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SUC0_HjNFBs&rel=0</a>

I've also heard spores can survive in vacuum of space

makes you think  grin

you ever dance naked outside red lobster? ...well, you're just letting the best of life pass you by.
CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:46:24 pm »

if in 50 years we're still dicking around with oil and fascism and gay marriage and and whether or not people have the right to see a doctor and all that then I'll most likely die before any serious space exploration begins. talk about a MAJOR fucking bummer. I was told in sixth grade that we'd have a colony on mars by 2020... I seriously doubt that's going to happen... unless Neil deGrasse Tyson runs for president.  cry

yeah, I'm often reminded of all these dumb "promises" we got when we were kids. They all turned out bullshit. Maybe that's part of the reason for my lack of respect for older people  embarrassed  tongue

That tardigrade is a crazy creature!  huh  it's close up picture is so weird it almost looks fake. That's pretty impressive it can survive so much, enviroments that we die instantly in. huh

Truthfully, they already found amino acids on asteroids and other paraphernalia years ago. So isn't the verdict kind of already in?  cheesy I actually don't mind (in some way) if it's a while until we discover actual intelligent life. I mean, imo, we aren't so intelligent our selves.  tongue rolleyes

marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 10:21:15 pm »

believe it or not......sigh....i still got a little hope for humanity left over  smiley that's rare at 24 i think, a little goes a long way

you ever dance naked outside red lobster? ...well, you're just letting the best of life pass you by.
jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »

this could be a pretty fun place if so many people weren't crazy assholes  T_grin8 T_cheesy1

CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 02:50:28 pm »

ah yeah, I shouldn't be so pessimistic  tongue

the thing is though.... if/when we encounter life or just find habitabal planets. It'll have to be once we get pretty further on in way of technology. It takes hundreds, thousands, and millions of years to go around our galaxy, AT LIGHT SPEED  T_Shock1

So basically we need to invent warp drive first. Or find aliens that already have warp drive  cheesy

marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 05:14:57 am »

ah yeah, I shouldn't be so pessimistic  tongue

the thing is though.... if/when we encounter life or just find habitabal planets. It'll have to be once we get pretty further on in way of technology. It takes hundreds, thousands, and millions of years to go around our galaxy, AT LIGHT SPEED  T_Shock1

So basically we need to invent warp drive first. Or find aliens that already have warp drive  cheesy

Going near the speed of light is extremely dangerous

the velocity would be so detrimental all your cells would burst and you'd be a puddle of human flesh. moving at a constant velocity would have to be what would make it possible, you'd have to have an instant constant value; this means no acceleration. so you need to be at rest relative to the spaceship going at constant value (in it's inertia frame of reference)

now even if we achieve a spaceship that could suddenly change it's value to C (speed of light) then a new problem has risen - relativistic mass - our own body weight would crush our selves into our constituent elements lol this is probably our biggest problem with traveling at such high speeds because our mass increases, and plus let us not forget about length contraction  tongue

and the final bummer is Time  grin you just might get lost not only in space but time  smiley smiley smiley
warp drive/teleport  sounds extremely unlikely to my intuition, but it's most likely that it is possible ...fuck anything is possible ..we just need bigger brains to figure it out

i know that sounds cynical as fuck but it's more counterintuitive to ignore the problems of how unlikely it is to benefit from traveling at the speed of light

my brain is full of fuck just by thinking of all this shit  grin embarrassed cheesy sad   ...the real question for humanity is will we find another planet before our sun goes boom

these are questions that will make your hair turn grey

jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 04:53:12 am »

that asian physicist who's always on TV invented a kind of warp drive -- where you can create a bubble where the rules of spacetime don't exist or something --- immediately in front of the ship, and that would pull you (some kind of pressure gradient?) through space. I was pretty intrigued.

when you think of how little of our makeup is actual mass I think in the future we could do some neat things with antigravity and warp drive. just need an insane source of power...

but the thing I can't get my head wrapped around is how if you traveled at warp 10 for an hour everyone back where you started would be older...  huh huh huh huh huh huh

marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 06:17:14 pm »

that asian physicist who's always on TV invented a kind of warp drive -- where you can create a bubble where the rules of spacetime don't exist or something --- immediately in front of the ship, and that would pull you (some kind of pressure gradient?) through space. I was pretty intrigued.

when you think of how little of our makeup is actual mass I think in the future we could do some neat things with antigravity and warp drive. just need an insane source of power...

but the thing I can't get my head wrapped around is how if you traveled at warp 10 for an hour everyone back where you started would be older...  huh huh huh huh huh huh

I can't explain that aspect  embarrassed just thinking about that...i feel tired.  grin cheesy Michio Kaku is who i think you mean, he's a fucking genius  T_Anger1 wink T_Cool2

now that i think about it, an infinite amount of energy for a short period of time is possible if we somehow harvest stars or catch a super nova as it happens

CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 05:21:00 pm »

Michio Kaku was on TV today; I was watching a show about Aliens. He said if we encounter a hostile alien civilization that wants to attack us, this learning to use their weapons against them is a load of baloney. "I'd be like Kermit the frog verses a T-Rex."  grin

What I really can't get my head around it time travel. and the whole granfather paradox.  cheesy If it's possible; which they're saying it most-likely is (or will be in the far future anyway).

marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 05:43:25 pm »

Michio Kaku was on TV today; I was watching a show about Aliens. He said if we encounter a hostile alien civilization that wants to attack us, this learning to use their weapons against them is a load of baloney. "I'd be like Kermit the frog verses a T-Rex."  grin

What I really can't get my head around it time travel. and the whole granfather paradox.  cheesy If it's possible; which they're saying it most-likely is (or will be in the far future anyway).

if i kill my grandfather it would create a new timeline, so both senarios exist, according to string theory if you subscribe to it, though personally i don't  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

this thread got pretty deep  cry embarrassed embarrassed grin grin

CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 08:36:27 pm »

What I really can't get my head around it time travel. and the whole grandfather paradox.  cheesy If it's possible; which they're saying it most-likely is (or will be in the far future anyway).

if i kill my grandfather it would create a new timeline, so both senarios exist, according to string theory if you subscribe to it, though personally i don't  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

this thread got pretty deep  cry embarrassed embarrassed grin grin

personally I like that theory the best. The other one being; some kind of karma or something prevents you from killing your grandfather-- that just doesn't sit with me at all. Sounds too science fiction/religious...

The other weird thing, however, about string theory is that there's supposed to be 11 dimensions or something like that. Idk, that just sounds odd to me, 10 or 11 dimensions just seems like an arbitrary number, if we think they may be more dimensions why not infinite dimensions.
Then some scientists believe there are no dimensions at all--that it's all an illusion.   T_Shock2  tongue

marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 11:57:03 pm »

Brian Greene gives good lectures on YouTube regarding string theory if you want to hurt your mind  grin cheesy

yes yes the 11 dimensions  grin i think I'll stick with 4  grin unless it's proven obviously, most of string theory is hypothetical mess with 9 versions and a sad attempt to unite all the versions (m theory) which states that our universe is a bubble inside an even bigger universe called the omneverse/multiverse, and when 2 universes touch that creates a big bang creating another bubble (universe)

what a mess

does anyone watch Nova still?

i think it's funny how we started out talking about discovering planets to universes inside universes with infinite time slot scenarios with endless amounts of universes with all possible differentiated laws of physics

jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

WWW Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:21 am »

that's pretty incredible -- I really wish we had warp drive already.  sad

I watch way too much star trek though. "that was his problem"

CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »

holy crap, from what I've been reading now, it seems there is some debate about what we're seeing when we look at the hubble deep field. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Deep_Field

basically the galaxies in these deep field pictures are so far away that it takes the light 12 billion years to reach us. So we're looking back in time when we look at them. But then some believe space is curved so that, like the earth, if you kept sailing forward you'd eventually come back to where you started.  grin So.... what if when we look at these deep field pictures we're actually looking at ourselves, our own Milky way galaxy, but 12 billion years in the past.  shocked huh

wtf... just image that for a minute, if it's true. We can look at a distance past version of ourselves, just by looking farther away.  huh huh my brain hurts.

------
maybe I should change the name of this thread to astronomy  embarrassed if you couldn't tell; I love astronomy.

marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

WWW Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 07:37:10 pm »

dude you just blew up the internet  cool cool grin

that's a mind blowing thought  cool

every time we talk about this i hear this song in my head [no, not literally]
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ef7_H4VGuIw&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ef7_H4VGuIw&rel=0</a>

one thing is for sure, we have a lot to think about, which is always a good thing  smiley grin

jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

WWW Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 08:54:42 pm »

...what if when we look at these deep field pictures we're actually looking at ourselves, our own Milky way galaxy, but 12 billion years in the past...

"This is just the kind of pretentious bullshit that Americans always say to French girls so they can sleep with them." Francoise from 'The Beach'

I'm moist with anticipation and I'm not even a French girl. but then, I too love astronomy.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: