The Team Jackulator Forums
April 30, 2024, 11:34:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help playlist Arcade Search Media Downloads Login Register  
The Jackulator 9000 Forums
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Prank calling for beginners  (Read 1418 times)
cheeseman007
Master of Karate and friendship for everyone!
Hardcore Jackulator
megaposter

I'm an old dog, ya' know?

Awards
« on: July 02, 2007, 03:07:08 pm »

I have been interested in starting to try prank calls, and I was wondering where I should place the phone when I make the calls. About how loud should the volume be adn where should I put the phone so that the people on the other line can hear it clearly, since the phone will be on speaker phone?

jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

"Twenty pushups a day..."

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:16:26 pm »

there are so many variables that depend on your soundcard, what recording software you use, your operating system, your telephone equipment - there really isn't one cut and dry method - I would recommend putting the phone handset inside a box with one of your computer speakers though - makes it so that if you laugh they can't hear it as easily - anybody else have any recommendations?

metalboss44
Prince Chicken
Jack Mod
Team Jackulator

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:30:39 pm »

realmofdarkness.net has a pretty good tutorial on how to make soundboard pranks.

As for myself, I don't use the ol' tried and true speakerphone method, I don't even use a landline. I opt for VO-IP programs, and it can be pretty hit or miss.

jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

"Twenty pushups a day..."

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 02:36:44 am »

Quote from: "cheeseman007"
I have been interested in starting to try prank calls, and I was wondering where I should place the phone when I make the calls. About how loud should the volume be adn where should I put the phone so that the people on the other line can hear it clearly, since the phone will be on speaker phone?

the first few calls we did we just set the handset of the phone right there on the desk - about three inches or so away from the speaker and put the computer volume around 40-60% - you can do the same using the speakerphone function some phones have - just put the computer speaker a couple of inches away from the little microphone on the speakerphone - usually either an indented little hole or maybe a group of 3-4 little tiny gaps/slashes probably on the front or top of the phone

but using this method means that if you can't control yourself and keep from laughing while doing calls, you'll easily hear yourself on the recordings, just like the person you're calling will be able to hear you during the call - and if they hear somebody laughing that's instantly gonna send up a red flag that the call is a prank if it's even the slightest bit strange

so what we have been doing the last year or so is using one of those phones that has a corded handset leading away from a base that has the number pad on it (in other words - the following method will not work if you've got a phone that has the dial pad on the handset) but by putting the handset of the phone inside a small wooden box with the computer speaker inside it and closing the box - this helps keep any outside noise from getting in - and inside the box, we arrange it so that the part of the handset that would go by your mouth is about 3 inches from the speaker, and we have the volume down pretty low on the speaker - about 30% maybe

using this method, because the handset is in the box, you obviously don't have access to the part that goes by your ear - so to hear the call you either need to have a second phone on the same line to listen to or a device similar to the one discussed in this topic:

http://www.jackulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80

HINT: if you're using a second phone to listen instead of the RadioShack device, it helps to cover the mouthpiece with tape so you don't give yourself away laughing into the phone

the 'man-in-the-box' technique in combination with the RadioShack device is great because you can talk and laugh while the call is going on and nobody can hear it

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: