The Team Jackulator Forums
April 28, 2024, 12:55:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help playlist Arcade Search Media Downloads Login Register  
The Jackulator 9000 Forums
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Interstellar  (Read 1609 times)
jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

"Twenty pushups a day..."

WWW Awards
« on: December 04, 2014, 09:25:01 am »

as you may know, I'm a huge sci-fi fan -- so I was really excited to see this movie

after seeing it last night all I can say is, this movie was much more than science fiction

and I highly recommend it

HairyChinaman
Chinaman
megaposter

Buffalo Bills Urn.

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 01:57:55 pm »

I really want to see this one, I just have to convince my brother to go see it too  lipsrsealed

Also, that dog video cracks me up  cheesy

I need a Johnny Damon jersey, can you do that?

Podcast

Podcast

jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

"Twenty pushups a day..."

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 01:30:35 am »

yeah I know he makes all the same noises people make when you try to wake them up and make them go somewhere they don't want to go  grin

oh by the way... just remembered you saw it by now  cool

whad you think???

CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

I'm dead! Help me out! I'm dyin' here!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:47:33 pm »

I've never heard of it before reading this and it's not playing at my theater  huh what gives?  sad

my jackulator tribute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbIpQTjH7M

"Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight" - Bruce Cockburn

HairyChinaman
Chinaman
megaposter

Buffalo Bills Urn.

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 04:42:42 pm »

Podcast

Podcast

angry

I need a Johnny Damon jersey, can you do that?

Podcast

Podcast

marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

spray paint my mind on a fucking wall

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 02:11:28 am »

I'm about to watch this tonight i'll let you know what I think/review  grin T_cheesy2 T_cheesy1

you ever dance naked outside red lobster? ...well, you're just letting the best of life pass you by.
CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 05:21:32 pm »

I watched this today, rented on OnDemand. It was ok, but honestly I wasn't blown away by  the story line. However, the special effects and acting were really well done. I like the little details like no sound in space and things which make it more realistic than well, when they had sound in space in older movies  rolleyes

marleycake
any colour you like
Team Jackulator

spray paint my mind on a fucking wall

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »

I watched this today, rented on OnDemand. It was ok, but honestly I wasn't blown away by  the story line. However, the special effects and acting were really well done. I like the little details like no sound in space and things which make it more realistic than well, when they had sound in space in older movies  rolleyes

Agreed, also like how they included a lot of other accurate stuff regarding space-time travel, and how weird our universe is with time being relative, my favourite part was [spoilers] the docking scene where Dr. Mann selfishly leads them to the dead planet so he can escape with the space ship,  it really captured our humanism and human error even if we'd manage deep space travel, we'll still be the same species just with advanced science, It's a good movie but it's no 2001  cool and I think the worst part was going into the black hole .....no  really...  that's where the movie went full retard for me, that would be the worst death possible you'd be stretched out like  a sheet of paper (including your balls  cheesy cool)

you ever dance naked outside red lobster? ...well, you're just letting the best of life pass you by.
stoneeh
700 Club

Sometimes, I listen to Jack Nicholson prank calls.

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 04:54:32 pm »

Oh, there is a thread about the movie.

Regarding the supposed display of human nature: what bothers me about newer movies, since around 2000, is that they seem to tend to make up good acting with a) obviously CGI b) stupid little ploys to make you get emotional with the characters. For example, nowadays there always seems to be the guy who is so desperately stupid that you just have to hate him. Where I disagree with Marley is, that it's mostly not realistically stupid.. people can be pretty crappy, but they are not that bad. Especially when, as in this movie, someone has to endure years of training and discipline to be selected into the most important scientific program in history.. a person like that has matured to such a degree, that behavior like Dr. Mann's in this movie would be highly unlikely.
At the end the person we are supposed to hate suddenly turns nice or enlightened (in a way that is highly unrealistic as well), or dies, which the director obviously feels should create a relief that will make up for all the shit you had to endure the 1, 2 previous hours.

I enjoyed the story, and obviously the visuals, and I think the movie had a lot of potential. There are obviously a lot of bright minds with great ideas out there. What genuinely pisses me off is that Hollywood nowadays seems to feel it is not worth to put that much effort into producing an all around great movie with heart and soul, because a grandiose story and CGI will sell anything.

If you want to be genuinely blown away in all aspects by a space movie, watch Contact (1997) or 2001 (1968). Or just watch basically any episode of Star Trek TNG, or any Star Trek series.. I can't really judge it this quickly, but off the cuff I'd say there's better acting in any of them than in Interstellar.. even DS9 and Enterprise, which can be pretty bad at times  huh
CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 08:54:18 pm »

those are some good points; one of the things that let me down about it. To be honest Dr. Mann thing felt dissapointing but I wasn't sure why until I read your post.
A lot of recent movies like the Batman's suffered from this imo. Yeah the more I think about Mann's character it just seems dumb, not very realistic.
it's like "fanservice". Generally speaking; I don't like anything if it doesn't feel like it really fits in the story or wasn't meant to be there. You can usually tell when they threw something in because "this is the tradition" or this will make more people like the movie".

on a good point:
One other thing which stood out to me was the wormhole scene [near the beginning]. I liked that a lot even if it wasn't totally original it was definitely unique (I know that sentence made no sense what-so-ever).  T_Grin2

Contact and 2001 are both excellent movies, but they both are very very original and that's a hard feat to achieve, to be fair.

Another minor point (which is old news) is it's nice to see Matthew McConaughey in stuff that's not stupid [since he can clearly act]

Star Trek to this day still has some of the best stories ever.

sample A: "The Inner Light" from TNG, season 5

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: