The Team Jackulator Forums
April 29, 2024, 04:13:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help playlist Arcade Search Media Downloads Login Register  
The Jackulator 9000 Forums
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: sorry the site was down again.. fuckers at netfirms need a fuckin box of tampons  (Read 815 times)
jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

"Twenty pushups a day..."

WWW Awards
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:28:00 pm »

this time the issue was the jack character in the poker game -- there were 24,000 mp3s in his MP3FILES folder.. apparently they recently 'discovered' that any folder with more than 12,000 files in it bogs the server down, not just for this website, but for every other website on the server... so I copied it to my desktop and deleted it off the server so they'd at least get the site back up and running... and now I have to find the original poker game FLA file, go in and change a dozen lines of code or more so that the MP3FILES folder will now be MP3FILES1 and MP3FILES2... so have the game look in the first folder, and if the MP3 called up by the game isn't in THAT folder, check the second one... it's bullshit. because servers are basically just PCs without a monitor, mouse, or keyboard hooked up. and if I can have 24,000 files in the MP3FILES folder on my PC and have it load up just fine it doesn't make sense why a 'server' would have a problem... so anyway, until I can find the original FLA file, re-code it for two MP3FILE folders and re-uplaod it, for the foreseeable future when we jackbox or play poker no one can use jack...   sad

just one thing after another with these bozos...  T_Shock1

it isn't so much the problem itself or the fact that I now have to reacquaint myself with the programming on the poker game in order to fix it, it's the fact that they shut the site down 2 or 3 times already in the last year and only recently discovered the real problem... assuming this actually IS the real problem. who knows, I could reprogram the poker game and then six months from now they'll shut the site down again for some other bullshit reason.

I really don't know. I assume they're trying to get me and roy to upgrade our service to the next tier -- go from $120/year to $240/year... but I always thought the best way to get people to upgrade was to promise NEW shit, not slowly degrade what they promised you and chip away at what you already had until you realize in order to have what you USED TO have you have to 'upgrade'...  huh

the real problem is they moved us onto a server that had a bunch of more successful sites on it... originally we were just on a random server, and we were one of the most popular sites on that server. but in all their 'wisdom' they probably tried to get organized and move all their more popular sites onto fewer servers, which means there is more competition on each server.... which means problems are going to become very evident... at least before we were on with a few hundred websites that got ZERO traffic... so we were dominating the server and everything was okay. now we're on a server with a bunch of websites that get similar traffic... that's them being 'organized'... I say it's them trying to get people to 'upgrade'...

[/rant]

stoneeh
700 Club

Sometimes, I listen to Jack Nicholson prank calls.

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 10:57:17 pm »

just one thing after another with these bozos...  T_Shock1

That's what I was thinking.. "again?"  tongue

Their explanation doesn't seem plausible. Only thing that would make sense is if the (SQL) database would get too large, if there were too many files.. but that would depend on the file size more than the number of files. Well, it could have something to do with indexing..

Either way, I don't really buy it. Either they're incompetent, or as you've suspected yourself, are trying to push you towards a more expensive product.

I'm pretty sure we could supply you with the 240$ for the next hosting package (where are those excess bucks Lux?  cool).. but I dunno if we should reward those fuckers for their failure. Switching hosts might be called for, but then again, that's a lot of work too.. setting up everything from scratch, or exporting the forum database to another server..

Think about it Jack. We're behind you  T_Anger3 T_cheesy2 T_grin12
jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 11:55:40 pm »

thanks pal

it does seem a little weird -- their explanation...

but whatever. I don't have enough clout to do much about it.

stu
MISSING IN ACTION
jackboard fan

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 08:40:14 pm »

Do you realise your site doesn't work on google chrome at all, but does work on internet explorer. On chrome you get a page come up that says the sites down and if your the owner to contact them!?  rolleyes
stoneeh
700 Club

Sometimes, I listen to Jack Nicholson prank calls.

Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 08:58:57 pm »

Clear your cache in Chrome, it should work then.
CallMeBronco
I'm Mr. Buznik's dick
MEGAMEMBER
Team Jackulator

I'm dead! Help me out! I'm dyin' here!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 07:08:22 pm »

Do you realise your site doesn't work on google chrome at all, but does work on internet explorer. On chrome you get a page come up that says the sites down and if your the owner to contact them!?  rolleyes

like stoneeh said, clearing your history and files should solve that. Funny thing is, for me, Chrome is actually the only browser which does acutally support this site. ...For some reason it causes Firefox to crash.  T_Shock2

my jackulator tribute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbIpQTjH7M

"Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight" - Bruce Cockburn

jackulator
... --- ...
Administrator
jackulator.com

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 07:08:02 pm »

firefox crashing might be because of Flash... I swear sometimes I think Flash updates are some kind of malware... or maybe I have malware that says it's flash updates. because I can only have so many browser windows open that have flash on them otherwise they freeze my computer.

like if I'm running the poker game (one flash object for the game, one for the shoutbox, so two), and I'm trying to watch netflix, my RAM is pegged...

probably just the fact this computer is so old, but still....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: